Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Surprise Scene . . .

I couldn't sleep last night, and so I found myself on my Mother's computer... For some reason I opened up a new document and just started typing. Now I have the first scene of a book. I have no idea who the characters in it are, no Idea what its about. I just know that one of them is on a mission and the other is not human. But it has intrigued me so I printed it off and stored it away, ready to use when I have the time to write something.

I now have 79, 000 words in Beneath Ice. Won't be long and I'll be finished my biggest project. I see this piece more of a practice then anything else, but maybe one day I will try to get it into print.

I was looking for PDAs this morning. I found the one I want. It's the AT&T Tilt. It looks very good and I'm getting quite excited for it.

Also I'm almost finished reading 'The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing' by Even Marshall. I'm up to the second last step. So far so good, I'm really getting a lot out of it for my writing, I've noted the significant improvement in my current WIP. Once I'm through with it I might put up a review, but I definitely recommend it for writers. You don't have to follow the way he does things, but there is a ton of really great information in it. Such as whilst in the editing stage, scene structure, connecters for scenes, chapter breaks and the things that I find the most handy; a synopsis, query letter, professional manuscript layout including the title page, etc... It really is very good, and I used the formats to help me create a manuscript for the two Short Stories I sent away, I can honestly say that they are looking far more professional now!

On an ending note, my 2YN is going along fabulously. I have so many scenes, right now I'm at 56, but I have planned for 136. These will of course be combined to become a lot less scenes. Though every time I think that I don't have a clue what to do next, I come up with something. This story really has me very excited!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evan Marshall here. I'm delighted that you're finding my book helpful. I thought you would like to know that I have just released a software version of The Marshall Plan® system. It's called The Marshall Plan® for Novel Writing Template Generator. The program completely automates the process described in the book, leaving you free to create your story. You can find details at www.marshall-plan.com/software.htm.

As a literary agent and novelist, I have noticed that during the current economic downturn, more people are turning to reading as the best bang for their entertainment buck. Publishers, looking for fresh material to feed these hungry readers, are increasingly open to new talent, especially in the area of commercial fiction. My software is geared to the creation of popular, mass-market fiction, and so should be of special interest to your readers working in this area and looking for a leg up.

Thanks for the entertaiming blog, and best of luck with your writing.

Blackfire said...

Thank you for your really great book. I finished it last night, though that will definitely not be the last time that I read it. It's going on my shelf, right next to Dwight Swain's 'Techniques for the Selling Writer' I got a lot out of that book as well ^_^

I really got a lot out of your book. It was written in a way that I could understand, so there were things in it that made real sense. My writing has really improved as a result, so thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new blurb, even if you don't know what it's for yet. ;P

Damn you and your plethora of scenes. ;P

wolo

Blackfire said...

LOl, I just can't seem to help it. And when it strikes, you just have to flow with it. Mind you, I have no idea what the story is about, and that really is very confusing. This is only the second time this has happened to me. The other one I still have, and all I want to do is write more on it, I tried doing more chapters and nothing else has worked, I wrote it over a year ago. I am guessing that this scene is exactly the same. One day I will figure out what they are about, lol, and I'm guessing that when I do, it will shock me.