Thursday, July 24, 2008

'The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing' By Evan Marshall -- Review

So as I said I would, here is a review for the latest reference book that I've read. Before I got this book, I of course read all the reviews on it that I could find, and although I read a lot that were very positive, I also read a lot that said this structure was very rigid and stifling, so I was a bit worried after I ordered it in. However, I feel that it really was worth the money that I spent on it.


The book is broken down into sixteen very easy steps. It starts out determining genre and then idea, moves into the lead character, romantic involvement and the lead character's confident. After fleshing out characters, the book moves onto the steps involving plotting. Marshall uses 'Sections' to make up his novel. The amount of sections used for each the beginning, middle and end are calculated through a table. How to plan and write these action and reaction sections come next, including how to connect them into one.


The book also gives valuable information on how to create a professional looking manuscript, a title page, synopsis and query letter as well as information about agents and how to find one. I loved the overall structure of this novel and the way it gave information in a clear and easy to understand way.


I have definitely seen a change in my writing since reading this book. I have been able to look at my writing and see some of the things that have been making it drag a little. Though it may not be for everyone, I recommend it to anyone who is interesting, there is a lot that can be learned from this book (such as editing, etc), even if you don't follow the structure that Marshall sets up. I found it very helpful and it will definitely be one of the top reference books on my shelf (right beside Techniques for the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain and Self editing for writers by Renni Browne and Dave King)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really useful, I'm going to have to add that to my TBB list. Thanks Blackfire!

Blackfire said...

Yeah it seriously is very helpful, there is so much good stuff in it. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Hi, Evan Marshall here. I'm delighted that you've found my book helpful. I thought you would like to know that, ten years after the book was first published, I now have a software version available. It automates the plotting process that writers used to have to do by hand.

If you would like to learn more about it, please go to www.marshall-plan.com/software.htm.

Anonymous said...

What Soleil said. Gonna have to look into this. Thanks for letting us know about it.

wolo

Blackfire said...

Really it is well worth it. I am using it to help plot my 2YN, but it doesn't just show how to plot, it has heaps of things in it that any writer can use. It's so very helpful.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I checked out the software... Once I get the money for college, it's the thing I'm saving up for... Anyway, I have a question. Don't want to be stupid but whatever. I read romances, like, all the time... But I don't know what kind of romances there are. In the book guide it seems like there's a thousand different types of romances so it's hard for me to know which one I'm going after. I know what I'm not going after, but I wanted definitions on a couple of them, if you would, just so I can tell the difference. Sorry if that makes me sound stupid. If it helps, I'm only sixteen.

-Angel
-Edwardian
-Georgian
-Gothic
-Inspirational Contemporary
-Long Sensual Contemporary
-Mature Contemporary
-Regency
-Short Sensual Contemporary
-Short Sweet Conremporary

Blackfire said...

I'm not actually sure about the subgenres of romance, but I can look them up for you, it just might take me a while to get the information ^_^

And as for asking questions, there's never any problem for you to ask questions, it is the only way you're going to learn ^_^ I didn't think you sounded stupid.