Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm actually getting somewhere...

So edits on Poison haven't been going as well as I hoped. Well until, in a last ditch effort I cracked open, Holly Lisle's Plot clinic, and decided to give her note cards revision a go. I did the first chapter last night with this method, and Hello, something happened! I got somewhere. I was able to figure out which scenes need the most help, and which ones can just plain go.

It no longer seems like such a large task. If I can just do this for every scene in every chapter. I'll be all good. Which also means that I'll have an outline to work from when I eventually do begin plotting. Which is always good. ^^

On to editing. No more procrastination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

W00-H00~! Looking good Lyra, keep up the great work and you should be finished editing Poison in no time.

Blackfire said...

Thank you Soleil. It seemed like it was such a difficult thing to do, before I cracked out the coloured index cards. Now I can give my story a bit of direction.

At least I learnt one thing. I'm not the kind of person who can simply read through first draft and just note down things I have to change (Which is what I was trying to do) I need to be;

1) Making an outline -- because that is how I work.

2) Cutting any scenes that have no omph to them -- Because that bit makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere, so I don't actually give up like I usually do.

I think that was always my problem. I never felt like I was accomplishing anything in the editing stage, and so I would always give up. At least now, something is happening. I've changed the entire beginning of the novel, being absolutely demanding, and getting rid of any scenes that babble on and have nothing exciting happen. And it feels great. The story will be a lot tighter for it too. ^^