Wednesday, April 30, 2008

May alternate challenge (Edited 2/5/08)

I have to say, I really do love Forward motion. It is one of the most awesome sites around and really motivates me. This month I have decided to do the alternate challenge, because I am nearly finished my story of Adela and Luken, so I need something to work on while I am worldbuilding. Anyway, I started preparing for the first short story, getting down my prompt and fleshing out a couple of characters, because that always takes the longest. This is what I got, and a sneak peak of what I plan to write when the time comes:

Prompt :
The theme of this story: noir romance. The main characters: crippled marine and conceited hermit. The major event of the story: treason.

Short summary of what I plan to write:
Trying to rid himself of his latest annonomous visit to his home village, Vito is forced to tend to a near dead woman, her eyes cut out and her spirit lost. But can he save Jannie when she refuses to live unless he reveals to her the reason for his hate and a dark past that he keeps locked in his heart?

Hopefully it will come out at 6000 words, could be a bit more, maybe a bit less it all depends. But this story is set in the world that I am building for 2YN, though the characters to the different stories never actually meet. Or at least I don't think they do. I have a feeling this is set before Elicia was even born, I'm taking hundreds of years before when the drama between pirates and Officers has only just begun. I have a feeling that later I will be able to write a novel on these people, and they will somehow contribute to the world, but for now it is just a short little romance.

[Edit] -- I was going to do the alternate challenge this month, but I think that I jumped in too quickly. This month is the story a day, so I think that I will aim for that one instead. It sounds like a really cool bit of gear, and I think that I will be able to do it too. There is always another month that I can do the alternate challenge, but the short story above will be written so that I can get a little background for my 2YN, just not as soon as I originally thought.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, blackfire! I can't wait to read it when it's done. :)

Blackfire said...

Yeah, though it is going to be way big! I have already been thinking about it a bit and I already love the story that I have planned. I think that this prompt was probably one of the best I have ever come across, it gave me plenty of ideas and some that could even become novel material later on.

Just one question-- I'm supposed to post the whole short story on FM aren't I? Or do I just post the prompt and the amount of words?

Anonymous said...

I think you're supposed to post the whole short story, but then I've never done the challenges. Sorry!

Blackfire said...

Thats okay, lol, I went on the site and there is not very many in this year and none of them posted the whole story, but the ones for last year did, so I am guessing you can do it either way.

Wologal said...

Sounds really cool! love that you're tying it into the 2YN story world.

Blackfire said...

Thank you. Yes I have figured some stuff out in my head about Jennie, Vito and Mai. They will play a significant role, though they will not be characters, as they will be dead when Elicia's story starts, but they have a lot to do with the pirate community and this will be explained to Elicia when she first goes to the pirate trade place. I have a scene developing in my mind! ^_^

Anonymous said...

I've been toying with the idea of trying to do the story-a-day challenge too. Just for the low level one! Craziness :)

Blackfire said...

Yeah, it is a bit! lol. I am up to my seventh story. It has become a lot easier since the first couple of days!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Seven already! I'm impressed :D

I've gathered some cool prompts from the generators and I think I'm going to try working on one or two tonight to give my mind a break from worldbuilding stuff for my bigger projects.

If nothing else it'll be great practice!

Blackfire said...

Yeah, it keeps you writing, even though the stories only have to be small. At the moment I have been doing one story a day. I think that the word prompts are really great.

Good luck with the challenge!