Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Dreaded Edits...

I haven't done much editing, but now that I have finished two novels that I love, I had decided I better get a wriggle on and get some practice. That, after all, is the only way for me to get better at it, just like with my writing.

So I am planning on going through my some of my Shorter works, I've already gone through one, and then step up to my larger works.

I'm thinking that I will do Beneath Ice fairly soon as well. I say this because that story is going to have a lot of cutting involved. It will be a lot of work, and I still don't believe it will ever be salable, but it will help me take that next step. I have been putting it off and putting it off, and I can see now that it was because 1) I was scared, and 2) I'm quite lazy, once the first draft was done I was quite happy to leave it. But this time I am going to push myself and really get into the editing. It is the only way that I will learn, and I want to have the editing process at least a little bit clearer in my head when I go to work on Poison.

So, on to the edits. This time I will persist, no matter how many scenes I have to cut out!

Edit ::
Got through the first 8 Chapters of Beneath Ice tonight. The writing of it is absolutely dreadful, though I'm ignoring that at the moment, and focusing rather on the content of each of the scenes. So far I have kept 5 of the 18 scenes that I have gone through. This novel is going to take a lot of work, but despite the fact that I have cut so much, I still feel fairly optimistic about it all. ^^

No comments: