Friday, February 13, 2009

Editing Progress

So far the editing has been going good. Only problem is, most of the story has actually been cut. Out of 41 scenes so far, I have kept 7. I've gone through 18 chapters so far, which means that I only have 16 chapters left to do. I think I will have cut so much by the time I'm finished this stage of editing that it will simply be like writing the first draft of a new story, just with a few scenes already fleshed out. That's how I'm going to treat it anyway. This story is in need of a big change. But I am enjoying doing it.

I used Holly's The Sentence for the story before I began editing, just so that I could understand where I was going with it. It changed the story a lot and now it gives me tingles and makes me excited.

The old sentence was -- Sorcerer versus time in a bid to restore memory and stop the world from dying.

But the new sentence is -- A rogue magician destroys all magic to shake an usurper Queen from her stolen throne.

I like the second sentence so much more I can see so many ways that I can be going with this. Anyways, back to the editing process!

2 comments:

Kerryn Angell said...

Good luck on the rewrite! I had exactly the same experience when I started editing my WIP. I cut so much that I was able to write 60,000 new words.

Your new sentence sounds a lot more specific though and really what you've done is uncover the story you were trying to tell in the first place.

Good luck!

Blackfire said...

^_^ Thank you very much. It's going to be a big long slog, but I think the story is going to be way stronger than it ever was. Besides, the actual writing of the story is terrible and will definitely be fixed up. I'm pretty optimistic about it all. ^^